INTRODUCTION TO PETROLEUM ENGINEERING (PET 303)
- 2 (Registered)
- The course “Introduction to Petroleum Engineering ” is aimed at imparting students with the knowledge of the origin of petroleum, it’s composition, refining process, transportation, storage, metering and marketing. It provides students with the basic knowledge of oil and gas industry. The following will be taught in this course:
- History and Development of Petroleum Engineering and Technology
- Generation and composition of petroleum
- Production and consumption statistics of petroleum
- Energy crisis and the world of oil
- Preview on the formation and occurrence of exploratory methods, drilling history and equipment, drilling fluids, types of oil and gas reservoirs, fluid and rock properties, volumetric reserve estimate, well completion and production facilities, field processing and refining, crude and product transportation, oil and gas storage, metering and marketing.
This course was designed by ENGR. DR. P. N Ohia, Department of Petroleum Engineering, FUTO. All staff associated with this course, including the TAs will act as facilitators for the discussion boards.
1 – 2 hours per week.
From May 1st, 2019 01:00 GMT to July, 6th 2019, 23:30 GMT. This course uses Greenwich Meridian Time (GMT)
All activities are due to be completed by July, 6th 2019, 22:30 GMT. You’ll be graded on weekly activities (100% weight in final score) You need to score 80% or higher to pass the course and receive a certificate. You can check your progress by selecting the “Progress” tab
Important: Check that your FULL NAME is correct as that’s the name that will appear in the certificate you may earn.
Please, check Students FAQs. If you cannot find the answer you’re looking for, please contact the Course Staff by posting your question in the Discussion Forum tab.
The pretest is active and very necessary.Call: 07033577871 for complaints and enquiries. You are advised to try out this PRETEST first. This is not a graded test.
Hello, we shall start up this course with a brief introduction and history of petroleum engineering
In this module, we would be introducing the basic petroleum geology and exploration techniques
Here, we would learn about the reservoir types, reservoir rock characteristics, drive mechanism, and rock-fluid interaction
Here, we would introduce you to the types of rigs, drilling procedures, types of drilling and various problems encountered while drilling
Here, we would be learning about the various techniques used for evaluation of the formation
In this module, we would be learning about well completion techniques and simulation
Here, we would be learning about surface productions and facilities
Ohia Nnaemeka is a veteran oil & gas professional with hands-on academic and industry experience. After spending over two decades teaching in the university and working/consulting for both local/international oil & gas producing and servicing companies engaged in multimillion dollar projects, Nnaemeka knows what truly drives performance, which is how well you connect with the people you’re trying to help and communicate your understanding back to them. Nnaemeka’s technical interests in environmental protection, well engineering and production optimization has landed him with various certifications and awards around the world. Today, Ohia is a member of notable professional bodies such as Council for Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN), Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) and Society of Petroleum Engineers. In addition to his extensive research, teaching and consulting experience, Nnaemeka is a trained technical coach. Nnaemeka holds a PhD in Petroleum Engineering from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. (FUTO), Nigeria since 2012.